SUNY Plattsburgh is the second college that I've attended, and it is also my favorite. The atmosphere here is exactly what you would imagine as a classic college feel, especially in the summer. The student body is diverse and friendly, and I think that's in part due to the small town feel. All of the classes that I'm taking at Plattsburgh are helping me get closer to my goal of working in the fashion industry even though they are not about fashion. Here are some of the courses that are helping to lead me to a succesful career.
- Grammar and Sentence Writing
- The grammar class at SUNY Plattsburgh is definitely the most valuable course I have taken thus far. The sentence writing and language skills that I learned in that class have proven themselves useful in all my other courses. Furthermore, now that I am efficient in AP style writing I am much more prepared for a job in the journalism field.
- Introduction to Public Speaking
- I have never been afraid of speaking, whether to strangers, friends or in front of a group of people. Because of this, I thoroughly enjoyed and excelled at the public speaking class. I learned how to improve my speech by focusing on organizational skills such as using a specific purpose statement and central thesis.
- Audio and Video Productions
- I have always been computer-savvy, so while audio and video productions was not the most challenging class for me, it still helped me in many ways. I learned a large amount of new information pertaining to audio editing, and the rules involved in filming with a video camera were entirely new to me and I found the knowledge useful. In the future, operating a camera could help me to cover a story, or if I am a broadcast journalist, understanding how the camera functions will help me to be better in front of it.
- Photo I
- Photography is my passion, and I was thrilled to learn how to properly work my SLR camera in the class. I learned important artistic rules that apply to all aspects of design, such as: the rule of thirds, leading lines, horizon lines, repeating patterns and textures.
- Web Design
- I’m personally thrilled to be in web design this semester because so much of my life revolves around the Internet. Learning how the web-pages that I rely and use every day actually work is fascinating to me, and I am very excited for my knowledge of web design to expand. Due to how style-savvy I am, I know that I have ideas for how to make a beautiful website, and having the coding knowledge to make it a reality is an invaluable skill.
- In photojournalism I am leaning how to take my fine-art photography skills and apply them to journalistic photography. While the two are very different, I’m having a lot of fun challenging myself to take photos that tell a story while still keeping them aesthetically interesting.
Stony Brook University
- Stony Brook, NY
- Completed coursework towards General Education
- Aug 2013 - Dec 2014
While I did not enjoy Stony Brook University due to the lack of community and socialization, I did appreciate the classes that I took there. I had some excellent professors who broadened my cultural horizons in many ways, and I met people from all over the world. These are some of the courses I took at Stony Brook that will assist in both the communications and visual aspects of my career.
- Literature Beyond European Traditions
- I enjoyed this class because we read novels by authors from Central and South America, Africa, and other regions outside of the United States and Europe. Learning how writing is influenced by culture in places all around the world was fascinating.
- Topics in European Cinema
- My interest in classical film stems from my obsession with aesthetics. Directors like Luis Bunuel and Mehdi Charef payed such close attention to how every visual aspect of the film can help to tell the story -- not just the dialogue. I feel that the art of storytelling through imagery has been lost in modern film, but due to my knowledge and appreciation of it I can incorporate it into my journalistic work.
- Television Studies
- We covered the entire history of television, but focused mostly on how it affects us today and in the past several decades. I gathered a great understanding of what it takes to have a successful television network.
Seton Catholic Central
- Plattsburgh, NY
- High School Diploma
- Sept 2009 - Jun 2013
I went to a small private school, Seton Catholic Central, in Plattsburgh, NY. I loved going to Catholic school because we learned so much more than academics. In Catholic school, they teach you manners, discipline and how to be the most succesful version of yourself that you can be.